Sunday, October 10, 2010

detox

Will eating a bunch of vegetables cancel out the 4 pieces of korean fried chicken I just ate? Probably not. But it makes me feel a little bit better and it is better than eating another 4 pieces of chicken... mm, chicken....

Beets

I bought a couple of fresh beets yesterday. They're one of those miracle health foods that had me give them a second try. My first encounter with beets were from a can and as you may agree, most canned vegetables taste like metallic flavored mush and and bring back unpleasant memories of the school cafeteria. But fresh beets are much more crisp and substantial if you don't cook them that long. The easiest way to cook, I've read, is to quarter them and steam with the skin on for 15 minutes. But since I didn't have a steam wrack, I boiled them whole (with skins) for about an hour. They're even better with a little butter too.

KaleCheez
Kale Chips with Cheeze

Cheeze is the vegan/raw substitute for cheese. This version is made of uncooked cashews, lemon juice, onion and garlic powder and sea salt. The first time I tried a store bought version I wasn't expecting much, but the taste was amazing - intense, flavorful and similar to the filling of spinach pie. I tried to recreate the flavor but since I don't have a dehydrator and am perfectly fine eating my food cooked, I baked the 'chips' in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes. Since they're healthy, I don't feel as guilty eating a whole bowl full.

1 comment:

  1. I like to quarter beets, drizzle with a little olive oil and herbs and roast them along with parsnips, etc. Yummy stuff!

    ReplyDelete